Monday, November 1, 2010

Chai tea for one for breakfast

I love chai masala so much that the first thing I did with my new Thermomix cookbook (Fast and Easy Indian Cooking) was to make the chai masala.
Except that the recipe made 6 cups and there's only me.
And I like it spicy.
And not sweet.
And I hate heated milk with a skin.
And to reduce the volume of liquid meant I couldn't put the tea in the basket.
So here's my adaptation:
Chai tea for one
7 cardamom seeds or 2 pods
3 cloves
4 peppercorns
2cm cinnamon quill
350g water
250g milk
3tsp black loose leaf tea
1tsp raw sugar
2mm slice of ginger
1/4tsp vanilla
Nutmug + grater

Put the first 4 things into the bowl. Process on speed 8 for 10 seconds. Add the tea, sugar, ginger, water and milk to the bowl, and process at 80C for 9 minutes at speed 4 on reverse (cause this bruises the ginger but doesn't shred it - this'd make it way hotter though!). Add in a grind of nutmeg and some vanilla at the last minute. Strain to serve.
 Was enough for 2 generous mugs of hot spicy tea for me! A great way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment