Saturday, December 18, 2010

On the ninth day of Solstice, my Thelma gave to me

10 great gift ideas! This was inspired by a post I saw on a blog where the suggestions seemed a little bit off my radar - truffle oil? Why would I want that? I use it to drizzle on eggs or add it as an extra to a dressing or dipping oil, rather than an ingredient in things. Maybe I'm using it wrong?

This was actually inspired by a post over at My Kitchen Robot, not the one that I originally linked to but as Helene has commented about this post not the other one, I've just crossed out of what I wrote. Capiche? I'm confused, I don't know about you.

I've made a few of these as well ;). Here are 10 things that you could make with a Thermomix:
  1. Raw truffles, truffles, rumballs, apricot balls, etc etc. So many options so you can find something that suits people who are gluten intolerant, nut allergic, dairy reluctant, low fat, high chocolate.
  2. Vanilla sugar. There is a recipe in the EDC but mine was to use 3 vanilla beans and 600g of raw sugar, processed at speed 8 until it resembled sand. Bottle, label, share, use.
  3. Lemon butter. Again, there is a recipe in the EDC and I did post about it when I made a lot of it.
  4. Spice mixes - so many options to try! Sweet (cinnamon and cloves and sugar), spicy (chilli and pepper and cardamom), warm (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger), lemon salt rub, garam masala style, Moroccan.
  5. Spicy tea mix - chai perhaps?
  6. Anything that would freeze well, and fill someone's freezer with goodness. It could be sorbet, or some stroganoff, or something else yummy and your signature dish!
  7. Vegetable stock concentrate is often requested and I can usually trade a jar for a dozen eggs, or a small favour.
  8. Dukkah! I love it and the EDC recipe makes a lot but I use it as a rub for vegetables and meat as well.
  9. Spinach pesto - use the last of the spinach in the garden to make, instead of basil, to bottle some
  10. Jam or sauce with whatever fruit is around. Citrus, berries, stonefruit are all in season and so suited for bottling! You can also preserve it under a sugar syrup, if you want to use the Thermomix but want to use the lovely fruit whole.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Emma: So sorry that my list was a little off your radar -- but glad to hear it did inspire this list of yours ;-) (thanks for the link, btw!) . The truffle oil was mentioned as something special that I would want for myself. I have never had truffle oil in, or anywhere near my house! It's just too 'precious' for someone as frugal as me. And yes, I agree -- I too would use it oh-so-sparingly to add just a drop or two of flavor to something special.

    Reason I thought of this is because I had an outrageously good pizza a while ago that was quite scant on the toppings but rendered impressive by the drizzle of truffle oil on top. Gourmet pizza is so easy to do with Thermomix and I am wishing that someone will gift me with a tiny amount of the oil to experiment with.

    I hope that all your Christmas dreams come true and that you have a lovely time with your little family. I love keeping up with your Thermomix adventures, so have fun and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I searched for "truffles" and added that line to this one instead of the actual post that was inspired by your lovely post. I'll fix it up.

    And yes as a frugalista I would find truffle oil a little indulgent to buy myself. We have a lovely shop in the Adelaide Central Markets here that sells truffles and oils so I could access it but the last bottle I had went sour before I used it all.

    I love love love your blog by the way. It's one of my inspirational reads. Thankyou for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://thermocauldron.blogspot.com/2010/12/on-seventh-day-of-solstice.html is the post I meant!

    ReplyDelete