Thursday, December 16, 2010

On the seventh day of Solstice...

My Thelma suggested that I post 10 gift ideas for someone who has a Thermomix, because one could suggest that it is the smallest kitchen ever so what more could one want? This was inspired by a post I saw on a blog where the suggestions seemed a little bit off my radar - truffle oil? Why would I want that? I use it to drizzle on eggs or add it as an extra to a dressing or dipping oil, rather than an ingredient in things. Maybe I'm using it wrong?

ETA: Helene of Super Kitchen Machine has commented on the original place that I wrote this comment, to say:
Dear Emma: So sorry that my list was a little off your radar -- but glad to hear it did inspire this list of yours ;-) (thanks for the link, btw!) . The truffle oil was mentioned as something special that I would want for myself. I have never had truffle oil in, or anywhere near my house! It's just too 'precious' for someone as frugal as me. And yes, I agree -- I too would use it oh-so-sparingly to add just a drop or two of flavor to something special. Reason I thought of this is because I had an outrageously good pizza a while ago that was quite scant on the toppings but rendered impressive by the drizzle of truffle oil on top. Gourmet pizza is so easy to do with Thermomix and I am wishing that someone will gift me with a tiny amount of the oil to experiment with. I hope that all your Christmas dreams come true and that you have a lovely time with your little family. I love keeping up with your Thermomix adventures, so have fun and keep up the great work!
But here are 10 things that I still use lots, if not more, now that I have Thelma in my life:
  1. A good grater to take the zest off things. I get a lot of use out of my Tupperware one as it has a serrated edge on it that just takes the zest off.
  2. Silicon baking mat! Really important for baking things that come out of the Thermomix.
  3. Large storage containers because once you have a Thermomix you buy flour, sugar, spices etc in bulk. I like Tupperware ones as well for the 5kg ish of flour I buy at a time.
  4. A good bread tin for baking the bread that they can now easily make.
  5. Something from your own kitchen! Because a baker likes nothing more than to be gifted something to say that they can have a break in the kitchen now.
  6. Vanilla essence, paste or beans. Buy some delicious indulgent ones and tie them with a bow.
  7. Jars, bottles, tins or similar for storing the things they make! Or a big cookie jar, bread tin, 
  8. Tea cups  or coffee cups! I love Bodum double walled ones which are great for serving hot and cold dishes.
  9. A nice apron, tea towel, oven mits combination perhaps?
  10. A knife and chopping board. I bought an extra special handmade wood one and a lovely knife, because I used them a LOT more now that I have Thelma.
  11. I lied - there's an extra one that comes to mind. Dip bowls and platters would also be great!
  12. And another! Help! Stop! The ideas are flowing! Cookie cutters? They'd be great!

1 comment:

  1. Great list Em. I am coveting a set of double walled glasses myself.

    Speaking of cookie cutters, you might be interested to take a look at the very special one that landed in my mailbox today. Thelma would approve I think.

    ReplyDelete