Saturday, December 11, 2010

On the second day of Solstice my Thelma made (muffins) for me!

Oh how I love muffins. Once upon a time I was muffin on the precursor to chat because I (a) adore muffins and (b) make really good ones. Here is my adaptation for the Thermomix. Keep in mind that this is a very "loose" recipe. In this case, I adapted what I was making to what was in my fridge and the flours I was using. The recipe in the EDC is pretty good so don't be afraid of using it if you can't follow this or don't have some of the ingredients.
Apple and sultana muffins
2 apples (I used Granny Smith), cored and quartered
50g sultanas
150g raw sugar
150g plain white flour
170g plain spelt flour
2tsp baking powder
175g milk
2T yoghurt (I used Greek)
2 eggs

Put the apple in the bowl. Add the sugar and process for 4-5 seconds on speed 6 until the apple is in slivers. Add everything else and process on reverse on speed 5 for 15 seconds. Do not over process as it makes the muffins chewy! Have a peak at it as it goes around - it should look like Bircher muesli / oatmeal at this stage. Add a bit more milk or yoghurt if it needs to be thinner, and a bit more flour if it's too runny. Spoon into muffin cases and bake at 190C for 12-15 minutes (check a skewer is clean on skewering them before taking them out). Cool on a rack or eat them hot!
Oh yum. So good. Good to freeze, will keep for a week in an airtight container, and easy to adapt. Swap the apple and sultana for another fruit. Add spice. Add chocolate chips. Enjoy!

And now for my second love - savoury muffins. There is nothing quite as good as these to take for lunch, for having something savoury at a party instead of bread, for splitting in half and stuffing bits of cheese into etc etc. Again, a very flexible recipe - I've done tomato and capsicum, ham and cheese, salmon and dill, and so on. These freeze really well and I make giant ones when I'm on placement so I can take one or two with me as well as a tin of tuna or something protein-y. Now that I have a Thermomix I can do it quickly and easily.

Spring onion and cheese muffins
100g cheese (I used tasty but anything hard would be fine)
2 spring onions, cut into 2" pieces (trim off the root end)
150g plain white flour170g plain spelt flour
2tsp baking powder
200g milk
4T yoghurt (I used Greek)
2 eggs
1tsp seeded mustard

Put the cheese in the bowl after cutting it into 1" cubes. Process for 3-5 seconds on speed 6 until it's in 1cm pieces. Add the spring onion and process for a few more seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients and process on reverse on speed 5 for 15 seconds. Do not over process as it makes the muffins chewy! Have a peak at it as it goes around - it should look like Bircher muesli / oatmeal at this stage but probably won't as you haven't got the sugar in there. Add a bit more milk if it needs to be thinner, and a bit more flour if it's too runny. Spoon into muffin cases and bake at 190C for 12-15 minutes (check a skewer is clean on skewering them before taking them out). Cool on a rack or eat them hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment